I serve as the co-leader of the Library of Michigan’s (LM) Instructional Design team and Project Manager on the Michigan eLibrary (MeL.org) team.
Library Consultant, Library Development, Library of Michigan, 12/2011 – current
- Instructional Designer •• Manager of LM’s Staff Skills Niche Academy •• Developer of LM courses and support materials including brand standards, storyboards and templates, training materials, and a course production guide for the Niche environment. I am also the developer of a growing series of courses on web and document accessibility.
- Project manager on the Michigan eLibrary (MeL.org) team including contract manager and supervision of web designers, and responsibility for UX and accessibility. Varied support responsibilities include scheduling meetings and building agendas; writing, distributing, and reporting on portions of our marketing materials; evaluating eResource bids during contract negotiations; and contributing to over-all project success.
- Project manager for a website solution to over 1/3 of the small and rural libraries in Michigan; develop and deliver on-going training to 350+ staff. Planning, branding, evaluating, and reporting according to LSTA regulations.
- Head of social media team, 2013-2016.
Website Administrator, Library of Michigan 5/2006 – 12/2011
- Administered MeL.org web presence through several iterations, first as designer and developer, then as contract manager.
- Led LM web team of seven and performed administrative site functions.
- Co-planned LM’s in-person continuing education opportunities for Michigan library staff: contracted with venues, collaborated on determining workshop content, selected speakers.
Patron Services Coordinator, Braille and Talking Book Library 5/1999 – 5/2006
- Served as reader adviser to one third of patron base
- Administered volunteer narration program and converted it from analog to digital; wrote program manual; created Michigan tracking database for books that became part of the national BARD download system
- Directed Governor Jennifer Granholm narrating the One State, One Children’s Book three times.
Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
B.A. English 05/1994
- Graduated with Honors
- Semester abroad at the University of London conducting original research in England and Wales
- Minor in Women’s Studies
- Professional Service Award •• Wayne State University
- Leadership Academy Scholarship •• Michigan Library Association
- Multiple presentations at Computers in Libraries • Arlington, VA (2015-present)
- Multiple presentations at the Michigan Library Association’s annual conference (2006-present)
- Multiple presentations at LM’s Beginning Workshop, New and Advanced Directors workshops, and Rural Libraries Conference (2006-present)
- Multiple presentations at other state and regional conferences including at U of M, MSU, and the TLN Technology Forum (2006-present)
- Multiple presentations at MERIT’s annual conference (2008-2013)
Selected presentation topics
- Discovery services
- Website development and best practices
- User Experience
- Michigan eLibrary (MeL.org)
Selected Library Publications
- Encore Duet: How the Michigan eLibrary tweaked configuration options to improve the User Experience • Computers in Libraries October, 2018
- LM Dispatch newsletter (editor) • 2015-present
- Real simple? Exploring online user satisfaction in Michigan • Library Journal 2007
- Multiple encyclopedia articles for Gale/Cengage
- American Library Association
- Michigan Library Association
- Michigan Academic Library Association
- Lansing Host Lions Club • Volunteer (2009-present)
- Volunteer Narrator • Braille and Talking Book Library (2006-present)
- English as a Second Language Learning Buddy • Refugee Development Center (2017-2019)